Saturday, December 13, 2008

Jonah was a Prophet

Ian is almost 7 weeks old and mom, Jadon, and Ian are finally falling into a do-able schedule and enjoying time together. Ian has finally determined his schedule for feedings and Jadon has found something that holds his attention during that time. I went through special toys, books, cars, motorcycles.... the only thing that seems to consistently work is a Veggie Tales video of the story of Jonah. Will had purchased it on a wim, in exchange for some clothing that I had previously purchased at a second hand store. When I sit down to nurse, Jadon points at the TV and says "Jonah pleeze" and then sits down next to me & Ian.
Tonsils anyone?

Now, I thought I knew the story of Jonah. I mean he is the prophet that God told to go to Nineveh and when he decided to go the other way, he ended up in the belly of a big fish for 3 days and nights, right? Well, yeah, that is the general story. What I didn't realize until watching the Veggie Tales version over and over and over and over.... again, is that Jonah didn't get it. Our God is a God of compassion and mercy and loves bringing people to himself. He uses backwards and broken people like myself and Jonah to deliver that message of mercy to others. When the Ninevites believed and repented (partly because Jonah was in a big fish and lived!) Jonah was mad! He did not feel that the Ninevites deserved God's compassion and mercy, which is why he did not want to deliver God's word to the Ninevites. And I must confess, I have been there. I have been angry and resentful when certain individuals in my life found the Lord and received His grace - in my book, they definitely did not deserve it, and hey, I wasn't going to show it to them, so why should God!

Christmas Tree Shopping

Very humbling to be watching a "children's" video and learn God's truths. Jonah is a story of God showing compassion and mercy to people that were not chosen as his own. The lessons for me have been to:
  1. Show compassion and mercy to everyone
  2. Do not put God in a box and tell Him what I will and will not allow
It's interesting, because I wonder what is sinking into Jadon's heart and mind as he watches it. But, understanding and wisdom will come in due time. Will and I are fostering familiarity and knowledge of where to find truth, that way when he has questions, he knows where to find the answers.

Who do you know who you feel does not deserve God's compassion and mercy? Is that who God has been placing on your heart to deliver the message of the Christmas to? The angels announced Jesus birth to the shepherds by saying "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord..."Luke 2:10 - 11.


MERRY CHRISTMAS


No comments: