Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Welcome Baby Boy Bower

Baby Boy Bower joined our family October 26th at 11:50pm weighing 7lbs 12oz and 21 inches long - weighing in one oz larger than his big brother. Big Brother Jadon, enjoyed meeting his baby brother and thinks we should name him "Bee". His name is still being withheld from us and it seems that we need to attend to other urgent things before we can concentrate on listening for his name. As a family, we were all set to leave the hospital, when they took one last temperature and it was elevated. The follow-up blood work was also concerning so baby boy Bower, got to stay the night. He ended up with an IV and is getting at least 48hrs worth of IV antibiotics. If the blood work remains negative for 48 hours, then we will go home on oral antibiotics as early as Wednesday pm (Oct 29th). Otherwise, he may require a longer course of IV antibiotics. I have asked if I could administer the antibiotics at home like we do in adult medicine - but I guess in baby medicine world, that is not done because of the fragility of his veins and they have more issues with infiltration, etc..... So an early road bump in this little guys life make's Mom & Dad Bower's life a little more interesting for a couple of days. Other than the IV and antibiotics, this little guy is feeding well and sleeping soundly despite all the interruptions.

James Chapter One talks about a lot of practical stuff as we have been learning lately as our church has been teaching on it the last couple of weeks. Counting trials as joy, asking for wisdom, being hearers of the word and not just doers. When I have considered my circumstances, responsibilities, or challenges, I have the attitude of jumping in and going with the flow, because I know that God already has it all taken care of and things will work out, at least that is what I tell myself. My sin in this is that I do not make Him an active participator of my trials or my activities, i.e. I am too prideful to go to Him, I inadvertently trust my own wisdom and my own abilities to work things out. James (1:23-25) says this is like the man who looks in the mirror and then forgets what he looks like - I am not being a doer. Will and I have been given another little "talent" by God, and already in his short life, he is sick. I instantly went to my medical wisdom and training to find the assurance and comfort I needed to know that he was going to be "OK". I failed to first stop and pray. I am really good at hearing and judging, but not humbling and doing. Forgive me for my pride and not choosing to stand on "the Rock" but to stand on my own sandy foundation. Pray for this little one of God, that he will continue to do well and overcome this infection and that we, as a family, can go home Wednesday pm. Also pray that his Mom will consciously place herself at Jesus's feet every morning so that she is best equipped to train him and his brother in the "way that they should go" Proverbs 22:6. Pray that you are not like myself, that you will not struggle with pride, that humility will be your virtue and the key to your relationship with Jesus.

As soon as Will or I are able we will have pictures of this little one for all to see!

1 comment:

Debbie & Wyatt Anderson said...

Congratulations on Little Boy Bower joining your family! I will pray for you today. Thanks, Deanna, for sharing your trial. You are not alone Sister! What a great reminder of where I want my heart and attitude to be. Something to strive for indeed!