Saturday, May 17, 2008

Biking the Springwater Corridor at 85 degrees

Last weekend, when word came out that there would be a heatwave (80-90 degrees) Deanna and I decided that we would take a bike ride today. So last night Deanna started packing a few things and this morning I loaded up the car. Deanna had looked online and decided to head for the Springwater Corridor, a path that runs east-west through SE Portland. Along the path are many parks and we thought we could take the 6.3 mile bike to Powell Butte Park, find a place to eat and then pedal back to where we parked.

We found our starting point well enough and loaded up Jadon and our supplies in the Chariot Cougar 2 trailer and away we went. It was warm but things went fairly smooth on the way East, with the exception of the pages from Deanna's work and phone stops. There were quite a few roads that the trail crosses so we had many natural stops while we waited for the lights to permit us to cross. By the time we reached the trail to the park I was looking forward to relaxing and playing with Jadon.

When we pulled off the Springwater Corridor there was a park billboard but no map for us to see the fastest way to the bathrooms and picnic benches. Deanna knew they had the facilities so we continued another 200m meters up the beautiful forested narrow trail with the trailer and Deanna's nice road bike. We saw another entrance so Deanna went to see if there was a map, no luck, so we continued up the gorgeous forested trail.

After another 300 meters I stopped a couple mountain bike riders zooming down the trail. They had to stop since the trail was narrow and I was pushing the trailer and my bike up. They said the facilities were about 3/4 of a mile up the hill, if we stayed to the right. I was starting to get a little frustrated especially when the stinging nettle plants brushed my bare calves. Our little bike ride and picnic was turning into a bit of a multisport adventure race. The trail was quite steep as we continued up the butte and I was no longer glad I had packed a couple extra supplies in the trailer.


In retrospect I wish I would have stopped and enjoyed it a little more. The forest was beautiful and the weather was great. I should have taken some pictures: Deanna and her road bike in the middle of a forest, Jadon and I riding uphill on single track as the sun pierced the cool forest. The trip up was about 1.3 miles to the closed bathrooms and sun scorched picnic tables. We decided to set up camp in the shade of the closed bathrooms, which would have otherwise been gladly used.

From the park facilities we were able to enjoy some time together and study our Portland Bike map to choose a better trip back. After Jadon cooled off a bit he was his normal playful self. He enjoyed watching all the dogs and running around. We all ate and Jadon was happy to wear some chocolate on his clothes.

The trip back was fairly focused. We were tired, warm, had an errand still to make and then once home there would be the clean up. We only stopped so Deanna could to answer a couple pages and give Jadon a chance to drink some water. On the way home we stopped by a diaper store and then Trader Joe's before heading home.

After emptying the car of groceries and bike supplies I began to wash the car while Deanna and Jadon put things away up stairs. About half way through Jadon and Deanna came down to join me. Jadon had fun cooling off in the spray of the faucet and occasionally he would run through the spray of the nozzle. It was all in all a great and tiring day.

No comments: